This easy butter board is made with creamy whipped butter with sun-dried tomatoes, olives, lemon, feta, rosemary and honey.
Tik Tok butter boards are taking the internet by storm lately, and here’s another version to add to the mix! A butter board is literally what it sounds like. It’s a board of butter, with toppings and flavors that you can spread on bread.
Move over charcuterie boards, the Tik Tok butter board is in town now. This is a sun-dried tomato butter board with lots of Mediterranean-inspired flavors.
About butter board
The trend came to light on Tik Tok, which was inspired by Joshua Macfadden, from his book ‘Six seasons’. There, he made a board of butter decorated with herbs and edible flowers. Then serve it with crusty fresh bread, and guests can smear their bread pieces with butter.
Of course, when butter is the hero, it’s important to use the real good stuff. Grass-fed, rich yellow churned butter.
Is butter bad for you?
Eaten in moderation, butter is actually part of a healthy diet! Real butter is rich in nutrients and beneficial compounds like butyrate and conjugated linoleic acid. It is also a good source of vitamin A, vitamin E and other nutrients like calcium, riboflavin and phosphorus.
What can you put on a butter board?
The world is your oyster when it comes to what to put on a butter board, but in general, you should try and apply a few key flavor components: Salty, sweet, tangy and (optional) spice.
This Mediterranean-inspired butter board is using these components.
Find the ingredient amounts listed in the printable recipe card at the bottom of this post. Here is a rundown of what is used.
- Room temperature unsalted butter. Use excellent quality, grass-fed butter if you can. The idea of a butter board is that butter is the hero, so let’s not use processed fake butter. Use unsalted butter, as the sun-dried tomatoes and other additions on the baord that will be added, are salty enough already.
- Sun-dried tomatoes. Tangy, oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes are full of flavor. Sundried tomatoes are dried tomatoes, preserved in oil and they bring a concentrated tangy and salty flavor, as well s a great color to the butter. The butter and tomatoes are blended together.
- Rosemary – Fresh rosemary is a wonderful addition to the butter board. It goes very well with butter and sun-dried tomatoes. Feel free to substitute this with fresh thyme, basil or oregano too. Or, use a mix of fresh herbs.
- Lemon zest. Tangy and fresh lemon zest brings vibrant color and some freshness to the butter board.
- Feta cheese. A little crumble of salty feta cheese brings an extra element to the board.
- Kalamata olives. Sliced olives bring texture and tang.
- Red pepper flakes or black pepper. Optional, but they provide a little heat.
- Honey. A drizzle of honey completes the butter board. The sweetness really balances the elements.
In a food processor, blend together the room temperature butter with the sun-dried tomatoes until it’s whipped and creamy.
Dollop the butter onto a wooden serving board and use the back of a spoon to spread it out in swirls.
Slice up the kalamata olives and sprinkle this over the butter. Roughly chop the rosemary leaves and zest a lemon. Sprinkle this over the butter.
Crumble the feta over the butter, and sprinkle over a pinch of pepper.
Finally, drizzle over the honey.
Slice up or tear up some crusty fresh bread and serve this alongside the butter board.
Serve with plenty of bread. You can smear the bread with the butter using a knife, or simply drag a piece of bread through it! The beautiful idea behind a butter board is that it’s meant to be shared.
- 2 sticks (226g) grass-fed unsalted butter, room temperature
- 6-8 sun-dried tomatoes
- 2 Tablespoons fresh rosemary or fresh thyme
- Zest of a lemon, finely grated
- 1oz/28g crumbly feta cheese
- 1/4 cup kalamata olives
- 2 Tablespoons honey, warmed to liquid
- Red pepper flakes
- Bread to serve
- In a food processor, blend together the butter with the sun-dried tomatoes until it’s whipped and creamy.
- Dollop the butter onto a wooden serving board and use the back of a spoon to spread it out in swirls.
- Slice up the kalamata olives and sprinkle this over the butter. Roughly chop the rosemary leaves. Sprinkle this over the butter along with the lemon zest.
- Crumble the feta over the butter, and sprinkle over a pinch of red pepper flakes.
- Finally, drizzle over the honey.
- Slice up or tear up some crusty fresh bread and serve this alongside the butter board.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 164Total Fat: 16gSaturated Fat: 10gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 43mgSodium: 43mgCarbohydrates: 5gFiber: 1gSugar: 4gProtein: 1g